QmagiQ proposes to develop and deliver to NASA a multi-spectral infrared camera covering a broad range of wavelengths from 1 micron to 16 microns. A key feature is a broadband high-quantum-efficiency strained layer superlattice focal plane array (SLS FPA) with spectral filters integrated directly on the FPA – a design that allows the camera to be very compact. The spectroscopic information provided by the filters will be useful in detecting and identifying a variety of hot and cold targets at great distances and inferring their chemistry.
In Phase I, we will develop a SLS FPA with 16 micron cutoff wavelength, far past the normal 12 micron cutoff of commercial antimony-based SLS FPAs. In Phase II, we will optimize detector performance and expand array format to 1Kx1K, integrate filters onto the FPA, and package the FPA/filter assembly into a compact camera equipped for remote stand-alone operation.
The camera will be valuable to NASA for space telescopes (where its much higher operating temperature compared to Si BIB detectors offers longer operating life) and for Earth and Planetary Science Decadal Survey priorities like infrared sounding. In addition to detecting, tracking and chemically analyzing fires, a drone equipped with such a multi-spectral camera can also be used to monitor and analyze vegetation, forests, crops, industrial gas leaks, and pollution.
1) Space-based astronomy, e.g. future versions of the Spitzer Space Telescope
2) Infrared sounding
3) Detection, tracking and chemical analysis of fires and gas leaks
4) Mapping and analysis of forests and vegetation
5) LANDSAT Thermal InfraRed Sensor (TIRS)
4) Climate Absolute Radiance and Refractivity Observatory (CLARREO)
6) BOReal Ecosystem Atmosphere Study (BOREAS)
7) Other infrared earth observing missions
8) Atmospheric mapping
9) Pollution chemistry
1) Gas leak detection and identification for the petrochemical, gas, and mining industries
2) Crop health monitoring and analysis
3) Missile detection for countermeasures systems
5) Product inspection for pharmaceutical and agricultural industries
6) Security and surveillance